Now that you’ve started on the road to creating your blog, you’ll need to start bringing traffic to your site before you can make money online. You’re going to be researching topics like SEO, driving traffic and advertising. Here are a few ways that you can advertise your site for free:
1. Article Marketing: you can direct people back to your site/blog in your articles. This will also help create back links. Ezinearticles is a free, popular service you can use to easily publish your articles.
2. Forums: Join as many of these as you can related to your niche and talk, talk, talk on them. Make sure you have your site in your signature. This will also help create back links. We have our own forums for this very purpose!
3. Submit Your Site: Be sure to submit your site to all of the search engines. All the major search engines have a page where you can manually submit your site. Don’t wait for them to find it themselves.
4. Submit your site to all the social bookmarking sites like stumbleupon, digg, etc…
5. Pinging: Be sure to ping your site every time there is an update. You can use pinging services like Ping-O-Matic, Pingoat, Pingler etc. A service like pingler even offers a low cost service that allows you to ping up to 25 blogs at once. Good for managing a large network of sites.
6. Keywords: Use good, low competition keywords in the posts you make on your blog. You can find these by using the google keyword tool.
7. Blog Commenting: Comment on other people’s blogs related to your niche. Make sure you leave quality comments and backlink your site.
8. Link/ad Exchanges: You agree to put their link on your page in exchange for them putting your link on their page. It works the same way with ad exchanges, you put their banner on your page and vice versa. There are several good services that do ad exchange. Look into entrecard, adgetize, or blogupp for a start.
9. Free Classifieds. Craigslist, oodle, etc… This is just good old fashioned placing an ad in the newspaper. Sometimes the old methods work pretty good.
10. Free Press Releases. There are several sites that do free press releases. prweb, upvery, etc… These sites will submit your short articles to news sites all over the web. You can get an incredible amount of mileage out of these services.