As if the Christmas season wasn’t enough, a new year of paying bills and other needed expenses is about to begin. Despite news reports are to the contrary, many of us are still feeling the effects of the recession. When the belts have been tightened to the point of cutting off circulation, is there any more you can do to ease the budget pinch? Take heart, you can put your computer, combined with old and new skills, to good use and make money online in the coming year. Here are a few new ideas that can get you started.
- Sell Stock PhotosIf you have a talent for taking really great photos, you can make money by selling stock photos online. There are several websites that will either pay you for your pictures, or you can sell to other users who want to buy them. But in every case, be prepared with some of your best work before you apply. In order to give yourself the best shot at making money, it is also a good idea to browse the site and see what type of pictures seems to be selling well and send in some that have a similar theme.
One of the most popular sites is iStock. In order to sell photos on this site, you have to sign up (free) to become a member. You can then apply to contribute photos. Or, you can also apply to submit illustrations, audio files, video files and other media. During the application process you will take a short quiz and submit three samples of your work if you pass. That’s all there is to it! Make money online this year doing something you already enjoy. Other well known websites that pay for stock photos are Snapvillage, Fotolia and Stockxpert.
- Rent Out Your CarEarn money by signing up for peer-to-peer car sharing. Thousands of UK car owners are renting their cars and making enough money to pay for car maintenance, payments, repairs and other expenses. With the help of web-based private car facilitators, such as DriveMyCar Rentals, you can list your car, especially one that you don’t use regularly.
DriveMyCar Rentals lists all makes and model cars, from economy to luxury, for very little cost to the vehicle owner. The company assists the car owner with their listing and then posts it on the website to make it available to people looking for cars. The owner can choose preferences for potential drivers such as age, insurance and location. All it takes is for the owner to register online to begin receiving requests for bookings. The process includes handing over the vehicle with proper paperwork completed and then you can earn extra money from advance payments made directly by the driver of your car.
- Online Virtual Assistant JobsA virtual assistant (VA) is the Internet version of an administrative assistant. Among the duties of an administrative assistant are to provide technical and social assistance to their employers; for which they are paid good salaries. But working as a VA online can mean even more money to pay for your expenses.
This is because, in addition to a handsome salary, you will save money in transportation, clothing and other expenses incurred when you work outside of the home. As an independent contractor, you can make decisions about how many hours you work and choose which services and clients you want.
- Sell Your Class Notes and Study GuidesA quick way to make some extra money is to join one of the many websites that allow you to sell your college materials. While selling textbooks has been around for quite a while, former students are now selling their lecture notes, essays, study guides and more. Students at major universities sign up so they can buy these materials for help with their classes.
Among the most popular sites include Notehall, Collegenoteshare, and Sharenotes. The amount paid for documents vary, starting on average at $1.00 for study guides. Many of these sites boast of over 10,000 transactions per month and have expanded to include many more universities; making it easy to post your documents online for cash.
- Audio EditingAudio editing is an ideal way to make money from home in the upcoming year. Legal and medical transcribing jobs have been offered online for some time, but this takes it to another level. Audio editing has become in higher demand with the advent of podcasts and videos like You Tube.
It is easy to learn how to audio edit, especially with software programs like Sony Sound Forge. Once you learn this skill, you can contract your services to edit music audio, interviews and other sound editing. Because of the numbers of businesses needing this service, you can turn this into a full time position for yourself as you become more proficient at editing.