As a blog owner, there are tools of the trade that you might need or want to take your blog to a higher level or simply to spice things up. Whether you seek a blog makeover and want a snazzy new WordPress theme or whatever blogging platform you use, a paid theme can sometimes go a long way to making a big change. Some of the best blog designers create themes that you simply upload to your site and either customize further or simply leave as is and take advantage of an entirely new look for your site.
Perhaps there’s a cool new plugin that you’ve been meaning to grab but didn’t want to fork over the full retail price, if so – below we highlight five ideas and tips that might save you a considerable amount of money on your next set of blogging tools. Give one or all a try and as usual let us know how our tips fare for you.
1. Shop Around – the offline golden rule of “shop around” applies to blogging tool purchases as well. This could be themes, plugins, scripts, writing services, SEO services, etc. Also keep in mind, that sometimes depending on the item and the seller, negotiation can play a role as well. You might be pleasantly surprised to learn that a seller is more than willing to either a lower price or possibly throw in FREE bonuses, more items, BOGO, etc. All you have to do is ask and see what comes of it. You never know unless you ask.
2. Use Coupon Codes – because of advanced ecommerce cart systems, many now allow and accept coupon or promo codes, this is a great way to save on your blog tools. I know of several sellers such as the affiliate plugin called OIO Publisher that offers a $10 OFF coupon code via its army of affiliates. Find an affiliate ask him or her for the $10 OFF coupon code and voila – you just easily and quickly saved ten big ones.
3. Ask Your Social Network – this is a another no brainer, as someone who is knee deep in all things online marketing and blogging, I probably know a person or two that offers a theme, plugin, script, etc and could possibly offer someone a discount of some sort. The key is to ask before you buy. You could post something like this on Twitter, Facebook or Google Plus – hey, guys am looking for a discount on the awesome Thesis theme, anyone have one or know someone who has one? Let me know please. You never know who in your social network has something like this available to you.
4. Sign Up For Special Email Offers – another trick that some sellers do is offer a special discount to those who sign up for their email newsletters. It goes like something this, “sign up for my newsletter and get a FREE link to a 50% off promo code for one year of my service”. Go to the website of the seller offering what you seek, then look around and see if they offer said discount via an email sign up or newsletter sign up. Also, while you’re on the sellers website, look around and see if something is offered for becoming a fan on Facebook, a follower on Twitter, etc.
5. Shop During the Holidays – one of the best times of the year to buy a blog tool is during the Holidays. For example, Woo Themes the popular creators of dozens of WordPress themes always offer a HUGE sale during both Black Friday and during or before Christmas. This is an ideal time to grab what you’ve had an eye on for some time. Their Holiday offer usually consists of buy one, get FIVE free themes. Now that’s a deal.
There’s no need to pay full retail price for anything including blogging tools. Follow our tips above and you’ll be saving big bucks in no time, not too mention helping a fellow blogger out by purchasing his or her items. Support the little guy whenever you can, you never know when someone in the future will be looking to you for blogging tools.
This article contributed by Missy who works for a leading small business website builder provider on the web.