Frugal living is the only way to go. Whether you are a single man or woman trying to make a career out of his work or couples trying to make ends meet, it’s very important and essential that you need to keep your money and your income tight. By doing so, you get to spend something for a rainy day or you have some cash stashed for emergency purposes.
But what exactly is frugal living? And how can frugal living for couples be practiced and maintained?
According to one website, frugal living is not only for the poor but for the rich and clever. “While in the past frugality was linked to off-putting and sounding words such as penny pinching and stingy, or even cheap, the tide has finally turned to include words such as smart and wise,” says the website novascotiamiss.hubpages.com. “Frugal people are those consumers who are well-informed consumers and who use money, resources and time with an approach that is no-frills. When they avoid unnecessary services, goods and commodities, they cut back on waste items and they will also have an enthusiastic impact on the environment – and even their wallets.”
Here are reasons why frugal living for couples is recommended.
- Frugal living allows couples and single people to sleep better because they know they are not in debt. They can rest soundly knowing that when they wake up the next day, they’d never have to contend with so many pills and payments to cover.
- Frugal living for couples is a lot healthier since they get to monitor what they eat. Some even grow their own food in their garden – they grow their fruits and vegetables.
- Frugal living makes you grow thinner especially for those who are quite fat and obese. Instead of taking the bus or the taxi, they walk to their work – that is, if their workplace is just a couple of miles away from their homes.
- Frugal living for couples will eventually have a happier life because their children will know how to live simply, how to eat healthier and they don’t get to spend much on what they want. Instead they only get to know what they need.
- For frugal couples, their children will have a realistic expectation for their future and they don’t need to splurge on money just to survive.
- Frugal people know what their priorities are. They are able to create a budget and stick with it. So when unexpected celebrations come around, they know when to say no (which is quite difficult for people who just spend money without thinking of their future).
- Frugal people know what it’s like to treat themselves which are not often or seldom but what is just right. They know how to treat themselves on special occasions.
- Frugal living for couples means that they become more flexible with their finances and schedules because they have something to store these days. They also have some cash to use when they really need it for emergency purposes.
Here are just a couple of tips to start frugal living – for couples.
- When you are hungry or thirsty, don’t just go shopping. When you are bored, don’t go shopping. When you are angry, don’t go shopping. Chances are you will buy things that you don’t need. In other words, don’t go out when you are filled with all of these emotions.
- If you consider yourself an impulse buyer, leave your credit card at home. Instead bring some cash with you that you think you can spend. This will give you the control that you need.
- Buy the things that you need – and not the things that you want. If you subscribe to a magazine, for example, and then you don’t read them, then it’s better to just cancel your subscription altogether. You should live by the popular adage, “If it ain’t broke, why fix it?”
- Make your own lunch and bring your own lunch to work instead of buying food at the streets.
- Collect coupons. It doesn’t really matter if they are too small but eventually, they will add up which can save you goods and commodities in the long run.
- Go to thrift shops and discount shops. They have bargains there that have the same quality as that of the high-end shops – only you get to pay at a lower price.
- Check out for the best deals when you want to travel. Don’t be an impulsive buyer when you shop online.