Image Share By Brad Flickinger
Innovations in the educational field had reached a dead end with its tried and tested traditional methods. But in the recent years, augmenting newer technology has unearthed great prospects in the educational field. Wearable technology is one of them. Now you must be wondering, are we turning into cyborgs, wearing technology? Of course not. And the possibilities are numerous with such an implementation. We have discussed about a few among the numerous technologies that can be incorporated into the classroom.
Not just your regular eyewear, Google Glass opens up a plethora of features and services, that too in an instant. Learning has been rendered smooth and easy with Google Glass. A few of the ways this amazing device can help in the classroom are as follows:
- The mention of Google manifests in our mind as Google Search. That’s the first thing we think of and Google’s Search is phenomenal. Google Glass comes with the search option which is voice triggered which is quite convenient in the classroom.
- If you are a teacher, taking attendance in class has been made easier for you by the Google Glass. Not just that, you would also get to know about the details of the students you are looking at.
- Google Glass comes with real-time video recording features, so students do not need to scribble down notes in between lectures.
- Google Translator comes in handy to learn new languages.
- It also assists in setting out class schedules and timetables for students.
A smartwatch is like a wearable computer which acts like your personal digital assistant. The numerous features of the smartwatch caters to a number of classroom education requirements. Having said that, it all comes down on the wearer about how he would incorporate that into the classroom. A few of the many ways could be as follows:
- Students can ask questions to their teachers which could be promptly answered. Also, sometimes students wish to be discreet with their questions for their shyness in the classroom. A smartwatch enables a teacher to receive questions from students discreetly and include the answers in their lectures instead of directing the question to one particular student.
- Smartwatch could work as a pretty good presentation remote.
- Teachers can send assignment alerts to students with this smartwatch. Deadlines could be reminded so that students do not miss out on submission.
- Notification alerts could be set in a smartwatch to remind class schedule and timing, or switching topics, classroom transition and so on.
- A smartwatch helps to efficiently track and monitor student progress, manage classroom workflow, and forms a platform for communication.
The Keyglove is a new addition to the wearable technology in the classroom. It is a wireless open-source input glove which helps in entering data, manipulating 3D objects among other technology-based activities, enter data, play games and many other facilities. The Keyglove also facilitates single0handed tasks and are quite useful for handicapped or disabled students. Also any data from the desktop can be off-loaded to the Keyglove.
This is another one of the ways to aid in the creativity in education. Virtual reality, as the name suggests forms a virtual implementation of the concepts that students read in textbooks. A few ways it assists in education are as follows:
- Virtual Reality helps students in getting a hands-on experience of the topics they are learning in class. This helps in increasing their knowledge.
- It forms a way of interactive and fun learning, which makes the concepts clearer by presenting complex data in an accessible way to students.
- Virtual reality creates a virtual classroom and this helps students to interact with their virtual peers, record lectures and learn foreign languages as well.
Wristband work as an activity tracker which generally records physical activities throughout the day. This works as an amazing tool for students in the Physical Education class. Wristbands in the classroom help in the following way:
- They could be used to track physical education activities in the classroom
- Wristbands track student fitness and also assist in solving problems.
Muse is a digital headband which uses 7 finely calibrated sensors to sense the change in electric field generated by the brain. It helps students to manage stress and stay calm and focused, therefore improving physical, emotional and cognitive health. This activity can be tracked in your smartphone which needs to be connected to the device via Bluetooth.