Well, in today’s technologically progressive era, the latest enhancements in the mobile technology along with the mobile app development field is not unknown at all. Starting from online shopping to online food ordering, ticket booking to making payments – almost everything can be done using various mobile apps. When you visit the Play Store or the App Store, you find a wide range of applications dedicated to perform various types of tasks. But are they safe and secure to use? Are you sure while you are making an online payment using such apps won’t leak your sensitive data details? Do you know what a cracked and hacked mobile app can do? Well, it can lead to
- Huge revenue loss
- Brand damage
- Fraud cases
- Theft of intellectual property
- Unauthorised access to sensitive data and information
Thus, a security breach of mobile apps can not only affect the users but can cause a huge loss in the business as well.
Why Would You Need to Enhance App Security?
Well, more or less everyone enjoys using various types of effective mobile apps as it not only has made it easier for people to avail diverse types of services but it has made the payment procedure easy as well. Who doesn’t enjoy when payment can be made even when hard cash is not available! However, making such payment transactions via mobile apps are associated with different types of risks. According to the statistics,
- Till date, 100% of the best 100 mobile apps (paid versions) that are available in the Play Store, have been hacked.
- More than 55% of the best 100 mobile apps (paid versions) that are available in the App Store, have been hacked.
- On each passing year, the rate of dangerous mobile malware infections is increasing in an alarming percentage.
Hence, this is easily understandable that before publishing any application in the App Store or in the Play Store, developers need to ensure their apps are safe and secure enough to stand against any spiteful intent. Now, the question is how to do it! Here is a list of a few smart tips that would enhance your mobile app security.
Protect Your Source Code
How to protect your source code? Here are some tips.
- Use ENCRYPTION! But, measures like minification and obfuscation have become very common today. Hence, these measures are not enough. App developers need to stick with modern algorithms that are coupled with the API encryption.
- Scan your code.
- Make your code portable between operating systems and devices. Make the source code easy to update and patch.
- Put Authorisation Measures, Authentication and identification in Place
The added layer of security obviously makes an application more secure. Read on the below-mentioned tips on how to deploy it successfully.
- A federation protocol ‘OpenID Connect’ has been designed for mobile devices using which users can reuse same credentials across diverse domains just with an ID token.
- OAuth2 is a gold-standard protocol that can successfully handle secure connections via one-time, user-specific tokens. App developers can install this secure framework on the authorisation server. Moreover, they can customise it according to the needs.
- You need to use caution if your mobile application is relying on others’ API for the functionality.
- Secure Backend, Protect Network Connections
The cloud servers and servers on which the mobile app’s APIs are running should have top-notch security measures. How to ensure that? Go through the tips mentioned below.
- You can use ‘Containerisation’ method.
- Perform proper penetration testing of your network by consulting a professional network security specialist.
- To add extra security, encrypted connections and database encryption with an SSL, VPN or TLS would be helpful.
- Federation security measure makes sure that all your resources are not in the same place. When the resources are spread across the servers and the key sources are separated from the users, protecting network connections become much easier.
- Understand Different Platform-Specific Limitations
Well, if an app is being devised for multiple OSs, the developers need to be well-versed with the diverse security features along with the limitations of each platform. Every platform can have different encryption support, different user-case scenarios, different password support and so on. The app developers need to code accordingly. This would make sure that the app is secure to run on any platform.
Well, you should always keep a fact in the mind that with time, mobile technology is obviously enhancing but at the same time, hackers are also sharpening their skills to breach into app security using the same advanced technological innovations! Hence, while crafting an application, you need to make sure you are using most of the updated security measures to stay ahead in the game. Apart from all the aforementioned methods, make sure to integrate your application with the Mobile App Management (MAM) and Mobile Device Management (MDM) solutions along with a thorough Quality Assurance check.