We’ve all heard of SEO but what exactly is it and why make your career in SEO?
SEO is Search Engine Optimization, what this means is that your website or blog needs relevant informative articles and tips that hold SEO key words which are optimized for the search engines.
Example, you have a 500 word article on your subject, you have chosen 1 or 2 keywords, which are in your article of relevant information. You want to make sure those key words are in your title and subheadings or at least in a couple places through the text so that it will read naturally. You will also need to place these key words in the anchor text used to describe links, your domain name and title and Meta tags.
You won’t find a course in SEO in school, it is up to you to study it on your own, read as much as you can on SEO, the basics of how it works, what is new in the field, and have a basic understanding of how the search engines work when someone places a term in the search bar and clicks search.
What are some of the reasons to consider a career in SEO?
So why should you consider making a career in SEO? A highly trained SEO pro can make good money and always be in demand. SEO is constantly needed for websites and mobile sites in order to be found in search engines.
You will need to be analytical, have an eye for design, and love to write with good communication skills. A degree in writing or journalism isn’t necessary but it doesn’t hurt either.
The criteria of SEO is continually changing and evolving and most website owners cannot keep up with SEO and run their business as well. They hire an SEO company to take care of that for them; this means if you are fluent in SEO you will have plenty of work for a long time to come, especially if you have other skills as well. In order to be fluent, you need a basic understanding of web development, the latest SEO techniques, and stay tuned into what is happening on the horizon of SEO.
Advice and tips from the pros
We have some advice and tips from the pros on how to start and develop your career in SEO.
The tips are:
- Learn the basics, have a basic knowledge of web development, how SEO works, read up on the latest SEO techniques, the Google tools and algorithms used by Google for SEO. Google provides some basic knowledge as far as how they use SEO, also check with Bing, and don’t forget other learning platforms for beginners.
- Make sure you understand link building. Start by reading the Beginners Guide. Good link building is important to get better search engine ranking, just as SEO is. You will need to understand how to get links to other people who are trusted in the same field.
- Make sure that you have the correct tools and resources for the job. One of those resources is a marketing handbook which is a complete list of useful tools for SEO.
- Have a wide skill set, knowing a little about everything but excelling in one area SEO for example, this will allow you to better understand the job requirements and meet any issues that might arise. You want to be able to show you have these skills while showcasing your one or two areas that you excel in.
- Begin applying for SEO jobs. There are several job search boards that can be used, as well as employment or recruit agencies that are looking for people with the right skills to hire. Be sure to look for agencies that will train you and continue to look after your development in order to help you succeed.
- Interview for jobs, be able to answer questions such as tell me what factors can influence the way a page ranks in Google search. Being able to answer questions like these will help you land that job.
The pros all say read as much as you can on SEO, link building, and familiarize yourself with the SEO tools available and how to use them. Then begin using them in a blog where you can practice the things you have been learning about SEO. As you continue to learn; practice, practice, and more practice.
You also need to understand that you will never stop learning where SEO is concerned as it is always changing, just as the tools are as well.
There will always be new updates to Google’s algorithms and how they work, which will bring new tools to help properly do SEO for the search engines. It is up to you to continue to educate yourself to these changes and updates; and know what is acceptable. Keeping your eye on what is being used today and where SEO is headed in the next few weeks or months will keep you valuable in the field of SEO.
It is continually growing and adapting, always changing and you have to stay informed or you will be yesterday’s news in the world of SEO.
A career in SEO can be extremely lucrative and challenging. You need to stay current on what is being used to properly perform SEO work. As this field is always changing and evolving, you will need to continue to educate yourself on the new tools, algorithms, and rules that are put into place by the search engines, mainly Google.
If you do the things the pros have suggested, and continue to stay current and up to date on all the new changes you can have a long and highly enjoyable career in SEO.