Many questions arise when you are thinking about building your first application. But the main one that certainly goes through your head is: On which platform do I start, Android development or iOS? To help you, this article lists some positives and other negatives when choosing where to start developing your iOS apps or Android apps. Within a few minutes you’ll be able to choose which path to go first.
Want to know what these points are? So, let’s go!
Android Development – Advantages
The Android platform, by having free tools already offers for many developers who have little money to invest, a great opportunity. Making first-time entrepreneurs have many benefits by starting to create their first android apps. But for the more laymen. What does that mean? Well, if you decide to develop a game for Android Smartphones, you do not necessarily have to start building the whole game from scratch. For there are programs like and engine that offer structures to facilitate the work in the construction of the game.
Here are some other advantages that you find when opting for Android development.
- It uses the Java language, the most used in the world.
- You have access to several examples of source code (this facilitates integration into the Android ecosystem).
- Android apps are downloaded more frequently and numbers than other platforms.
- To post your work, you are charged a flat fee of only $ 25 dollars.
- Many emerging countries are adopting Android development like Brazil, India, Africa, China among others.
Android Development – Disadvantages
As soon as you create your android apps, you need to test on several different devices to be able to identify some integration flaws with earlier versions of Android. Besides that:
- Because it is open source, you are at risk of malware.
- High rates of industry fragmentation due to the large number of suppliers and quantity of devices on the market.
- Google Play retailer’s profitability compared to iOS.
iOS Development – Benefits
Unlike Android here you do not have to worry so much about the high rates of fragmentation in the industry. Also, when you create iOS apps based on in-app purchases, you have the benefit of a profit of up to 4 times more than Android.
Check out other advantages of this amazing platform:
- It uses programming languages like Objective-C and Swift.
- IOS users are usually very loyal, it means an active and constant user base.
- More willing users to spend money (unlike Android).
Since nothing in this world is perfect, iOS apps also carry in their DNA some disadvantages. Most iOS users convey great expectations regarding the look and feel of iOS apps, and when they do not find that possibility many are disappointed. There are even frameworks that can help you improve this feature. The costs are not so cheap. In addition, you need a machine with MacOS to build your app and publish it
- To post your work on the platform, you will have to spend about $ 99 dollars.
- Your app will go through a rigorous process that may take a long time before it is approved.
- The concentration of these users is mostly from the US, somewhat in China and in Europe.
Which language to choose?
To develop natively on the chosen platform, you need to learn how to program with the language used on this platform: Android, iOS.
- If you are new to the area, we recommend that you start with Android as it is the platform that dominates the market and therefore has more employability and market potential. If that’s your choice, learn Java.
- If you choose iOS, you will have to learn Objective-C or Swift. It is still possible to develop using Objective-C, however, Swift is the most recent / modern language, the successor to Objective-C. So, it seems, it’s the future of mobile programming for iOS.
Before choosing, it is important…
A lot of people overlook details that are extremely important in choosing for Android or iOS. The device! Yes, the Smartphone itself! Of course, there are emulators, where you can run and test your application on your notebook or PC. However, these emulators, though extremely useful and important are limited and therefore do not replicate the actual mobile experience.
So, if you opt for iOS, it’s critical that you have an iPhone or an iPad. The same goes for the case you opt for Android. However, let’s face it, there’s a big difference in values between an iPhone and an Android phone, right? Yes, being a developer for iOS is more expensive. This becomes even clearer in the topic that talks about publishing apps in marketplaces. Another point that further limits the choice for iOS development is as follows: the developer needs to have a MacBook or an iMac running the Apple OS, MAC OS, because to install Xcode (iOS development environment), you need this operating system.
Well, those were some pros and cons of these large application platforms. If you are already a developer, always try to perfect yourself, looking for features that make you unique as a professional. To evolve in the area, practice, study and model problem solutions, program, test and develop changes! Try to contribute to the world by providing solutions to problems and needs. If you have that mindset, there’s bound to be plenty of room for you in that area! Provided you have the knowledge or team needed for this!