On Saturday night 29 March, over 150 countries around the world all celebrated Earth Hour, which encourages people to turn off their lights to save energy.Since Earth Hour in 2008, “turn the lights off” is one of the most repeated phrases all over the world. Earth Hour become a worldwide campaign to remind ourselves of the challenges facing our planet, to think about how we use our energy, and call on every individual, business and community to take action for environment.
- All of us sure know how tuning off lights help to save energy this Earth Hour?
- But who knows how Magento extensions for Web development help the environment?
- How many lights you can turn off in 10 seconds via Internet
Based on the interesting e-marketing idea on Earth hour, a Magento extension provider – Magestore launched a mini-game called “Turn the lights off!” to ask their visitors to turn off lights online
· The Story: Magestore is a leading Magento extension provider with 32 extensions and 20.000 customers globally. The company launched the “Take action” campaign to attract the participation of their website visitors as well as Magento users community.
· The Goals: Magestore wanted to inspire action and increase awareness of Magento users as well as their customers about Earth hour, and to show their social responsibility
· The Solution: Magestore launched a funny mini-game like whac-a-mole with slogan “turn off as many light bulbs as possible” in order to bring fun and enjoyment to Earth Hour. The player will have 10 seconds to turn off as many light bulbs as possible to get the high score. Top winners will receive a Vietnamese post card and get 20-100 reward points, redeemed for $20-$100 to purchase at Magestore.
Besides, after game-over, there is a pop-up that appears to show the score with one call-to-action message related to saving energy. Magestore used the short messages which suggest customers use Magestore extensions to save electricity, fossil fuel, paper, time and cost. Here are some of them:
- “Affiliate+ helps your store go viral without tons of paper flies left on the street.”- Magestore
- “You can save time and fossil fuel when going to the nearest store thanks to Store Locator and Store Pickup’s direction.”- Magestore
- “Inventory Management reduces 90% paper works to record stock movements – More trees will be safe.”- Magestore
- “Checking sales with mobile devices instead of laptops is much more convenient and energy saving. SimiTracking will help you do that.”- Magestore
- “Don’t let customers waste time on computer for shopping. Use Ajax Cart, you can conserve up to 5 kWhs of electricity for them each day.”- Magestore
“This is the coolest thing in which I have ever participated. Together we can make a difference to save the natural resources and the world. Thanks for reminding us” – one of comments on Magestore’s blog
“Let’s be proud to say we didn’t sit back, but make a concerted effort to respond Earth Hour. We know turning out the lights for an hour might seem a little pointless since it won’t actually affect noticeably on saving the planet. It does make a difference as a powerful statement, raising awareness and lasting far longer than 60 minutes.” – writes Jenny Ta, Sales Manager at Magestore
Lasting from 18 Mar to 29 Mar, 2014 (GMT -7), this campaign attracted 87 participants with total hits – 3396 points Author bio:
Daisy T. is a Marketing Executive who loves to share her experience and knowledge about Magento, Magento Mega Menu to more Magento store-owner and developers.