The staggering rate at which the cloud computing options have proliferated for businessmen and organizations happens to have created a separate niche in the widespread lexicon of technology. Just like the clouds, cloud computing in unchained i.e. it has a natural tendency to evolve. Proportionally, cloud security is meant to evolve as well.
In today’s cloud-savvy world where cloud computing services are breaking the shackles every day, security is indispensable.
Here are the underlying commandments that are listed in the cloud holy book:
1. Know Who Is Accessing What:
- If you’re the boss, kindly act like one. Be knowledgeable about everything that goes in/out of your privileged data center and under whose compliance.
- Discuss about the protection measures employed by your provider when it comes to third-party access.
2. Limit Trivial Data Access:
- Be adaptable enough to change the levels of data access in the cloud depending on the geographical location and the device in use.
3. Smart Passwords:
- Don’t be laidback when it comes to providing passwords for your respective accounts as highly skilled hackers are always on the prowl. Be smart and use hard to decrypt stealthy passwords.
4. Penetrating Encryptions:
- The mantle of robust encryption rests in the hands of the app developers as no one knows applications the way they do. Hence, providers should seamlessly integrate with their clientele and develop healthy omnipresent encryption solutions that provide a sense of security satisfaction.
- Moreover, never ever let any decryption keys enter the cloud unless the Pope himself asks you to do so.
5. Device Security Extension:
- Make sure that the line between corporate and personal data isn’t crossed at any level. Run your critical devices on the latest up-to-date operating systems and pass your applications through a vulnerability check.
6. Utilize Cloud’s Transparency:
- Build yourself the innate ability to see through the entire cloud and its subdivisions. This will render you advanced enough to conjure tricks that might provide you with some meaningful signals about an imminent attack.
- Adding intelligence and advanced analytics security layers further enhance visibility in the cloud infrastructure.
7. Next Gen Firewalls:
- Security vendors have managed to bring forth security technologies that surpass data centers and the cloud itself via advanced security engines, intelligent frameworks, virtual and physical scanning processes ultimately causing unimaginable levels of protection.
8. Periodical Auditing:
- When it comes to cloud security, periodical concise audits will only help your cause. It might open your eyes to new loopholes which were previously camouflaged inside the cloud.
9. Regular Backups:
- Failures are inevitable no matter how robust the security is. So, employ regular backups and multiple redundancies as that will never let your data move an inch.
- Integrate network protection with intelligence to provide extra analytical control and insight.
- Follow a risk and priority based approach when it comes to asset security in the cloud.
- Provide, create and use secure web-based apps as they are now becoming cloud-centric in every aspect.
Cloud is based on the premise that user data is inhabited on a worldwide platform spreading across cities, states, countries and even continents which renders optimum cloud security a foregone conclusion.
So, follow these commandments to the word as you’re only as strong as your weakest link.