We all desire career advancements, and look for better ways to get ahead as fast as the system can manage. If you have stayed on a particular career rung for close to four years without any signs of promotion in your chosen career, then something is wrong somewhere. Either the system is wrong, or you are not doing what should qualify you for quick promotions and career advancements.
It is always useless to simply blame the system, but there are steps you can take in any human endeavors to move yourself up the success and leadership ladder in your chosen career. Some of them are the following:
1. Get more education: Getting a higher education always works in your favor if your seeking a well-deserved promotion and advancement in your career. Higher education can only benefit you and help you grow as a person in general. For example degrees like a Cardinal Stritch MBA would speak for you, making you the best candidate for promotion or organization leadership.
In fact, another degree in an unrelated or slightly related field would also get you ahead of the pack; and a professional certification or membership of some professional body would clinch your suitability as the candidate of choice when higher positions need to be filled.
2. Go for management courses and trainings: When you go for MBA courses among other career management courses for top executives, you place yourself in the mainstream for career elevation and advancement. You must bear in mind that these management courses do not only teach you how to manage careers or execute leadership functions alone, they also teach you how to take defining management decisions, manage people and resources, and also equip yourself for communication and managerial skills.
3. Develop communication and presentation skills: These cannot be emphasized enough. Good managers must be good speakers, and they must be capable of articulating positions without detracting in any way; and they must be capable of promoting a set skill of values that are important to their organizations. This underlines the ability to present values and visions in clear, succinct and engaging manners in order to carry others along or to share business views. This also means that they can have a leverage on language and communication without sounding too formal or trivial.
4. Read widely: Reading a great resource of books do not hurt, but as a manager and career-minded individual, you’d do better reading career and management books than reading novels. Be an avid reader, and motivate yourself with great motivational books from popular authors while also staying current market and national news. You must be very up-to-date with the news of what is happening in the country and how these impact on your industry, organization and career. Being a database of some sort qualifies you for management positions and career advancements.
5. Be proactive as a team worker: An organization is a place where team units work together to achieve set objectives. You must be a team player and very proactive in your team and unit to achieve company goals. Being proactive within your team sets you out as a resourceful person, and works to set you up as a leader to look up to. You must learn to get along with others and network in order to qualify for leadership positions in your chosen career and industry