You’ve all heard the phrase “knowledge is power.” In the online world, this translate to knowledge is money. I discussed earlier about how to find your niche, but that is only half the battle. The next step to making money online is to educate yourself on your chosen niche. When you educate yourself, you build your credibility.
In any field, education is the key to your success. One would not trust their lawsuit or life saving surgery to a fly by night lawyer or doctor. The same is true when you ask your audience to trust you with their hard earned money when you recommend a product or advertise a service. I’m not saying you need a PhD before you can blog about a subject, but you want to start the process of educating yourself. As long as you have a genuine interest your niche and make the effort to learn about the subject, you can start blogging as you go. If your interest in the subject is genuine, your audience will pick up on it and follow along.
What are some of the steps that you want to take when you are learning about your niche?
- The internet is a wealth of free information. You can start with a simple google search on your subject and read up on some articles and other blogs on the topic. However, you need to be careful to do your fact checking. You often don’t know the source of the information you find on the internet, so it’s often a good idea to check a fact with several sources.
- The library is an often neglected resource. I’m a strong advocate of supporting your local library. You can check out books on virtually any subject. It’s the one place where the masses have equal access to the same resources. It’s like Matt Damon said in Good Will Hunting, there’s no need to spend money on “an education you coulda got for $1.50 in late fees at the public library.”
- E-books is the next best place to look if you can’t find it at the library. You can download free Ebooks on any subject here.
- The Amazon bookstore is another good resource to check after you’ve gone through all the free sources above. Sometimes you may want to buy a book so you can mark up your copy and keep it nearby as a reference. There’s more than a few books that I’ve found to my liking enough that I wanted to keep my own copy on the shelf.
- Finally, when you start to get a handle on your subject matter enough to ask in depth questions, you may want to look up some experts in your field and start talking to them. Asking questions is always a good way to round out your knowledge of a subject.
These are a few good research methods to help you begin an education on any topic. While this post may seem more about education and learning than about making money online. The two go hand in hand. You may be able to earn some money here and there by picking a niche and winging it through on your blog. You might even find some pay per post programs that pay out 20-30 dollars a post, but you limit your potential earnings. If you want to fully tap your money making potential, then educating yourself on your niche is the best course of action.
Remember, you are asking others to trust you with their money. In order to do that, you need to make sure that you are giving them good advice.