Web usability is a well known term that pertains to the impact of website development. It covers a wide range of areas but it generally focuses on keeping visitors engaged on your website and helps them find what they were looking for. If you have a usable site then you can expect to reap huge benefits. It is believed that web usability can largely help in boosting your sales conversion rate by almost 100%.
Website that is Easy to Navigate
Usually, users are accustomed to typical layouts and phrases.
Here are some of them –
- Organisation logo remains on the left side of the page with it linking back to the homepage
- ‘About us’ in any website is always used for allowing the visitors to fetch information about the service or organisation
- Navigation is normally adjacent to the content on the site and lies in the same place
- Anything that is placed above the logo on the top or is little flashy can be identified as an advertisement
- ‘Shopping cart’ is a term on the website that is normally used for the items that the visitors might want to purchase
The importance of these conventions should not be underestimated. As the internet and its users are maturing with time, it’s natural for users to get used to things the way they’ve always been. If, as a designer, you break these conventions you will end up with a website that dissatisfies visitors with its poor usability.
Web pages that Download Quickly
If usability studies are to be believed, users can wait up to a maximum of 8.6 seconds for a page to download completely, quick load speeds are essential for optimal usability. With the help of a company offering web design in Bridgend, you can incorporate these essential things in your web design project. Here are a few things that are recommended in order to ensure that the website is downloaded rapidly –
- Make use of CSS rather than the images for the creation of the fancy navigation items
- Make use of CSS rather than tables for laying out your web page
- Avoid using images for displaying text
- Make use of the contextual selectors
- Make use of the shorthand CSS properties
- Minimise the white space as well as comment tags
Information that is Easy to Retrieve
Users quickly scan a web page before reading, these things stand out most at first glance –
- Bold text
- Link text
- Bulleted lists
Users usually notice the text before the images on the page. In order to ensure optimal website usability, it is advisable not to place crucial information in the images as it is highly likely to go unnoticed. If you want to do it in the most professional way, hiring a web design company in Cardiff can help since Cardiff is full of web development companies that can be trusted for a new or ongoing design project.
It is also important to avoid placing too many restrictions on the user as it will damage the web usability. With small blunders in web design you also run the chances of a final design that is infuriating. The simpler the better!