If you drive a car, then the possibility of a car accident is a fact of life even if you are the best driver in the world. I’ve been the victim of several car accidents, none of which were my fault. For the driver, it’s the great equalizer. In all of my accidents, I’ve found that it was my insurance company that made the huge difference between something that could have turned into a nightmare and a bearable experience.
I’ve been rear ended twice, and twice people have run red lights to T-bone me. In each case, my insurance company has helped me heal from the damage. They paid for the damages to my car, arranged for me to get home and get alternate transportation. In one case, they hired a lawyer to defend me from a litigious driver. (Who would have thought that you could be sued by the other driver when they run the red light and hit you…)
Every once in a while, I think about ways to save money, but I’ve never once downgraded my car insurance. It’s a life saver and a necessity. But I have researched different ways to save money in a car insurance company. I’ve even been able to switch car insurance companies to save money with the same coverage.
I’ve come up with a few thoughts about saving money on car insurance. Before you shop for the cheapest car insurance company, keep a few thoughts in mind.
First off, don’t just go out and get the cheapest coverage. The important thing is to get the best coverage that you can afford.
Make sure the coverage fits your lifestyle. So, if you own a house, make sure you get the coverage to protect all your assets. You definitely don’t want to be in a position where you are fearful of losing your house due to a car accident. But if you don’t own much and drive a used car, you can scale back the coverage.
Next, research for the companies with the best customer service. I’ve had a bad experience with a car insurance company that argued with covering my collision. Car insurance companies as a whole have improved in their customer interactions, but it’s still wise to do your research in this area.
Now that you’ve narrowed your list down to the companies that match your needs, you can shop their rates and figure out your specific strategy to save money on your coverage. Here are some tips:
- Start with evaluating your specific needs. Like I said earlier, if you get the coverage that fits your lifestyle, you won’t be overspending or under covering yourself.
- Next, if you are still shopping for a car, keep in mind the insurance costs. It can be more expensive to cover a brand new car than a used car. Also, safety ratings can make a difference in car insurance costs.
- If you pick the same insurance company that covers your home, you can get lower direct coverage on your car insurance, but pick up an umbrella policy that covers both your home and your car. This is often cheaper than getting same coverage on one.
- When comparing rates, also keep in mind the deductible payments along with your normal premiums. Paying a higher deductible can lower your premiums and vice versa.
- Pay attention to policy exclusions. Different companies may exclude certain kinds of damage. A cheap premium doesn’t do much good if it excludes too many kinds of accidents.
- Look to see if the insurance company gives discounts for certain conditions. Sometimes you can get discounts for your profession. If you have children of driving age, many companies give discounts for good grades.
- Shop several companies and get quotes online. For example, you can get a quote on cheap car insurance from 123.ie.
These are just a few things to keep in mind when picking a car insurance company and a policy that will save you money.
Whatever you do, don’t go without car insurance. Accidents happen, many times they won’t even be your fault. You can’t control whether you might be involved in a car accident. But you can control how you protect yourself.
Getting the best affordable car insurance will protect you and your family in the event of an accident. Car insurance doesn’t have to break the bank. Just do your research and keep some of the above tips in mind and you can rest easy.