When you consider the reality of how much time people spend sleeping, working, commuting and getting ready for work, it is easy to see why so many people feel like they do not have time for a personal life. In fact, the average person spends at least 19 hours a day dealing with sleep and work related time commitments, and that leaves a mere five hours for everything else.
If you happen to get overtime or find yourself stuck in traffic, you might end up with only a couple of hours for non-work related activities. However, this does not mean that you need to give up on the idea of having a successful relationship. Instead, you simply need to place a larger emphasis on making room for your personal life.
Tips for Fitting in Your Personal Life
1. Take Advantage of Your Lunch Hour – Many people spend their lunch hour with their co-workers, but you should reconsider the potential importance of this midday break. If you find that you do not have enough time to connect with your partner after work, it is a good idea to commit at least one lunch per week to a lunch date.
2. Turn off Your Phone at Home – Unless you have a position that requires you to be on call 24 hours a day, it is important to take technology breaks when you are spending time with your partner. For example, you could both pledge to keep your phones off when you eat dinner so that the two of you can have an uninterrupted conversation.
3. Utilize Flex Time – If your employer allows you to use flex time, you should take advantage of it to align schedules with your partner. For example, if you typically go in from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. but they do not start their job until 10 a.m., you should occasionally use your flex time to start at 10 a.m. as well. Doing this even once a week will let the two of you have a relaxed breakfast together, and that can make a big difference in your relationship.
4. Work with a Life Coach – Some people have a very difficult time figuring out how to schedule every aspect of their life for maximum effectiveness. If this describes you, it is a good idea to hire a life coach. They will help you set an attainable schedule that will let you achieve your personal and professional goals. The internet makes it easy to get help you need, whether you are looking for a life coach Toronto introduction or one in Los Angeles.
5. Schedule Date Nights – Many couples fail to go on regular dates after the initial courting period is over, but this is a big mistake. If the two of you can schedule at least one date night per month, you will feel much more connected and the romance will consistently be rekindled.
If you are a manager, it might seem difficult to incorporate all of these tips into your daily life. However, it is essential to make sure that you maintain a personal life and that you enable your employees to do the same thing. Therefore, you should consider offering flex time, and it is also a good idea to let people choose whether they want to work their 40 hours during a four or five-day work week. Your company will benefit from this flexibility, and you will also enjoy a lower level of stress.
- License: Creative Commons image source
- License: Image author owned
By Lisa Coleman
A busy mother and professional, Lisa Coleman knows how difficult it can be to balance work and home. When searching online at Noomii.com, she was able to find a life coach Toronto area based that could help her balance these difficulties. After more than 15 years, she continues to turn to her coach and mentor when things get out of hand.